Ph.D. in Physics (Trinity College Dublin)
B.Tech. in Engineering Physics (IIT Delhi)
Solid State and Structural Chemistry Unit,
Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India – 560012
Our interests are in understanding and predicting coupled and intertwined phenomena in solid state systems, broadly defined. These can range from the coupling of spin and orbital degrees of freedom — as happens in topological materials [1, 2] — to interweaving of magnetic and lattice properties — as is seen in magnetoelectric multiferroics .
We use a combination of accurate quantum mechanical simulations and simplified models to theoretically study these coupled phenomena, employing a broad spectrum of numerical as well as analytical techniques.
We extensively collaborate on these topics with our experimentalist colleagues across the globe. For recent examples, see publications [4, 5, 6, 7].
- A. Narayan, D. Di Sante, S. Picozzi, and S. Sanvito, Topological tuning in three-dimensional Dirac semimetals, Phys. Rev. Lett. 113, 256403 (2014).
- A. Narayan, Class of Rashba ferroelectrics in hexagonal semiconductors, Phys. Rev. B 92, 220101(R) (2015).
- A. Narayan, A. Cano, A. V. Balatsky, and N. A. Spaldin, Multiferroic Quantum Criticality, Nature Materials 18, 223 (2019).
- C. Zhang, Y. Zhang, X. Yuan, S. Lu, J. Zhang, A. Narayan, Y. Liu, H. Zhang, Z. Ni, R. Liu, E. S. Choi, A. Suslov, S. Sanvito, L. Pi, H. Z. Lu, A. C. Potter, and F. Xiu, Quantum Hall effect based on Weyl orbits in Cd3As2, Nature 565, 331 (2019).
- S. Jakobs, A. Narayan, B. Stadtmueller, A. Droghetti, I. Rungger, Y.S. Hor, S. Klyatskaya, D. Jungkenn, J. Stoeckl, M. Laux, O.L.A. Monti, M. Aeschlimann, R.J. Cava, M. Ruben, S. Mathias, S. Sanvito, and M. Cinchetti, Controlling the spin-texture of topological insulators by rational design of organic molecules, Nano Lett. 15, 6022 (2015).
- H. Chen, C. Malliakas, A. Narayan, L. Fang, D. Y. Chung, L. K. Wagner, W. Kwok, and M. G. Kanatzidis, Charge density wave and narrow energy gap at room temperature in 2D Pb 3−x Sb 1+x S 4 Te 2−δ with square Te sheets, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 139, 11271 (2017).
- Zhang, A. Narayan, S. Lu, J. Zhang, H. Zhang, Z. Ni, X. Yuan, Y. Liu, J.-H. Park, E. Zhang, W. Wang, S. Liu, L. Cheng, L. Pi, Z. Sheng, S. Sanvito, and F. Xiu, Evolution of Weyl orbit and quantum Hall effect in Dirac semimetal Cd3As2, Nature Communications 8, 1272 (2017).