Founder and Professor for Life
FRS, FNA, FASc, Hon FRSC
DSc (hc), ScD (hc), LLD(hc), DLitt (hc)
This group has been interested in various facets of Solid State and Materials Chemistry. At present, research is being pursued in the following areas: nanomaterials, multiferroics, electronic phase separation in oxides, open framework and hybrid materials. The work on nanomaterials includes the chemical synthesis and studies of various properties of graphene, carbon nanotubes, inorganic nanotubes, nanowires and nanocrystals. An ambitious programme on open framework and hybrid materials is in full swing. New multiferroic materials and synthesis and characterization of various inorganic nanomaterials at the organo-aqueous interface are other areas of interest.
- Kouser;, S. R. Lingampalli; P. Chithaiah; A. Roy; S.Saha; U. V.Waghmare and C. N. R.Rao, Extraordinary Changes in the Electronic Structure and Properties of CdS and ZnS by Anionic Substitution: Cosubstitution of P and Cl in Place of S.Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.54 (2015)8149.
- Rao, C. N. R., Notable Effects of Aliovalent Anion Substitution on the Electronic Structure and Properties of Metal Oxides and Sulfides. Phys. Chem. Lett.6 (2015) 3303.
- J. Late; Y. K. Huang; B. Liu; J. Acharya; S. N. Shirodkar; J. J. Luo; A. M. Yan; D. Charles; U. V. Waghmare; V. P. Dravid and C. N. R. Rao, Sensing Behavior of Atomically Thin-Layered MoS2 Transistors. ACS Nano 7 (2013) 4879.
- Maitra, U. Gupta, M. De, R. Datta, A. Govindaraj and C.N.R. Rao, Highly effective visible-light induced H2 generation by single-layer IT-MoS2 and a nanocomposite of few layer 2H-MoS2 with heavily nitrogenatedgraphene, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 52 (2013) 13057.
- N.R. Rao, H.S.S.R. Matte and U.Maitra, Graphene analogues of Inorganic layered materials, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed.52 (2013) 13162.
- N.R. Rao, H.S.S.R. Matte and K.S. Subrahmanyam, Synthesis and selected properties of graphene and graphene mimics, Acc. Chem. Res. 46 (2013) 149.
- Maitra, B.S. Naidu, A. Govindaraj and C.N.R. Rao, Importance of trivalency and the e1g configuration in the photocatalytic oxidation of water by Mn and Co oxide nanoparticles, PNAS 110 (2013) 11704.
- J. Late, B. Liu, J. Luo, A.Yan, H.S.S.R. Matte, M. Grayson, V.P. Dravid and C.N.R. Rao, GaS and GaSe ultra thin layer transistors, Adv. Mater. 24 (2012) 3549.
- N.R. Rao, A. Sundaresan and R. Saha, Multiferroic and magnetoelectric oxides: The emerging scenario, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (Perspective) 3 (2012) 2237.
- S. Subrahmanyam, P. Kumar, U. Maitra, A. Govindaraj, K.P.S.S. Hembaram, U.V. Waghmare and C.N.R. Rao, Chemical storage of hydrogen in few-layer graphene, PNAS 108 (2011) 2674.
- Mandal, V.S. Bhadram, C. Narayana, Y. Sundrayya, A. Sundaresan and C.N.R. Rao, Spin-reorientation, ferroelectricity and magneto electric effect in YFe1-xMnxO3(0.1£ x£ 0.4), Phys. Rev. Lett. 107 (2011) 137202.
- N. R. Rao, A.K. Sood, R. Voggu and K.S. Subrahmanyam, Some novel attributes of graphene, J. Phys. Chem. Lett. (Perspective) 1 (2010) 572.
- N. R. Rao, A. K. Sood, K. S. Subrahmanyam and A. Govindaraj,Graphene: A new two-dimensional nanomaterial, Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 48 (2009) 7752.
- S. Ghosh and C.N.R. Rao,Separation of metallic and semiconducting single-walled carbon nanotubes through fluorous chemistry, Nano Research 2 (2009) 183.