Our research group focus on the growth, design and discovery of new hybrid and functional nanoscale and quantum materials for faster, cleaner and sustainable energy technologies. By combining solid-state chemistry, nanochemistry and crystal growth synthesis tools, we envision the coherent design of unconventional solids with precisely tuned structure, composition and functionality. We study the structure and the nature of chemical bonding using advanced microscopic and spectroscopic tools and bring insights into the structure-property relationship based on experimental findings and theoretical calculations.
2D Layered Materials and their Heterostructures
Inorganic nanotubes (INTs) and fullerenes (IFs)
Structural Aspects and Symmetry Breaking in Solid-State Materials
Topological Nanomaterials for Quantum Technologies
- M. B. Sreedhara, Yana Miroshnikov, Kai Zheng, Lothar Houben, Simon Hettler, Raul Arenal, Iddo Pinkas, Sudarson S. Sinha, Ivano E. Castelli, and Reshef Tenne. “Nanotubes from Ternary WS2(1-x)Se2x Alloys: Stoichiometry Modulated Tunable Optical Properties”. J. Am. Chem. Soc., 2022, 144, 23, 10530–10542.
- M. B. Sreedhara, Kristyna Bukvis ́ ov ̌ á, Azat Khadiev, Daniel Citterberg, Hagai Cohen, Viktor Balema, Arjun K. Pathak, Dmitri Novikov, Gregory Leitus, Ifat Kaplan-Ashiri, Miroslav Kolíbal, Andrey N. Enyashin, Lothar Houben, and Reshef Tenne. “Nanotubes from the Misfit Layered Compound (SmS)1.19TaS2: Atomic Structure, Charge Transfer, and Electrical Properties”. Chem. Mater., 2022, vol. 34, 1838–1853.
- M. B. Sreedhara, Simon Hettler, Ifat Kaplan-Ashiri, Katya Rechav, Yishay Feldman, Andrey Enyashin, Lothar Houben, Raul. Arenal, and Reshef Tenne. “Asymmetric misfit nanotubes: Chemical affinity outwits the entropy at high-temperature solid-state reactions”. PNAS-USA, 2021 Vol. 118 No. 35 e2109945118.
- Sudarson S. Sinha, M. B. Sreedhara, Reshef Tenne. “Why do nanocrystals of 2D materials form nanotubes and why is that important?” Nano Today, 2021, vol. 37, 101060.
- Simon Hettler,* M. B. Sreedhara,* Marco Serra, Sudarson S. Sinha, Ronit Popovitz-Biro, Iddo Pinkas, Andrey Enyashin, Reshef Tenne, and Raul Arenal. “YS-TaS2 and YxLa1-xS‑TaS2 Nanotubes: A Family of Misfit Layered Compounds”. ACS Nano, 2020, 14, 5, 5445–5458. (*equal contribution).
- M. B. Sreedhara, Manaswee Barua, Abhishek Chaturvedi, C. N. R. Rao and U. Ramamurty. “Borocarbonitride, (BN)X(C)1-X, nanosheet-reinforced polymer nanocomposites for high mechanical performance”. Carbon, 2018, vol. 140, 688e695.
- M. B. Sreedhara, Subhra Gope, Badri Vishal, Ranjan Datta, Aninda J. Bhattacharyya and C. N. R. Rao. “Atomic layer deposition of crystalline epitaxial MoS2 nanowall networks exhibiting superior performance in thin-film rechargeable Na-ion batteries”. J. Mater. Chem. A, 2018, 6, 2302–2310.
- M. B. Sreedhara, A. L. Santhosha, Aninda J. Bhattacharyya and C. N. R. Rao. “Composite of few-layer MoO3 nanosheets with graphene as a high-performance anode for sodium-ion batteries”, J. Mater. Chem. A, 2016, 4, 9466-9471.